I have been thinking a lot more about self-care since my previous post, in which I suggested that self-care should be defined and practiced from a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual perspective. I also made the bold statement that self-care is a daily practice and not an event. If you have not already read that post you can read it here.
The year 2020, more than any other has reminded me of how important it is to take care of myself. Maybe that and the stark realization that I am over 40! ? I have been paying closer attention to how I treat myself. I have also been trying to live more mindfully and intentionally, as I believe this goes hand in hand with regular self-care.
I did not offer any suggestions for self-care in my previous post but rather encouraged you to decide what your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs are and choose activities which help to satisfy those needs. You see, there is no one size fits all or no magic formula when it comes to self-care.
Nonetheless, I thought I would share with you my top 10 self-care practices. These are the things that I enjoy and that work for me. Maybe they will inspire you to give some or all of them a try. They are bound to leave you feeling amazing! If by chance they don’t all work for you, that’s fine. Take what you need and leave what you don’t. The whole idea is to always do what works best for you and satisfies your needs.
So here it goes!
1.Yoga – this is my number 1 self-care practice. It does not matter how I am feeling or what I am dealing with, yoga makes my world better. It heals me, soothes me, energizes me. Read about my yoga journey here.
2. Water – our bodies are mainly made up of water and therefore it is essential to our health. I make a point of supplying my body daily with the water it needs. Water infused with fruit or veggies is excellent and refreshing as well.
3. Deep breathing – For me there is something special about the breath. Deep breathing helps me feel calm and centered, especially when I am feeling stressed.
4. Prayer and meditation – as a Christian prayer is important to me and gives me comfort. Mediation be it on a verse of Scripture or just keeping still also works wonders for my spiritual and emotional wellbeing.
5. Affirmations – this is my newest self-care practice and has been very helpful in encouraging me and boosting my self-confidence.
6. Time alone – We all need solitude sometimes. I enjoy spending time alone. Whether I am reflecting, writing, binge watching Netflix or out on an adventure.
7. The Beach – I can’t tell you how much I love the beach or being anywhere close to water. I don’t even need to get into the water. Something about the beach or water calms me, soothes me, fills me with joy and peace. There is no better sound than the crash of the waves. I love the feel of the sand between my toes. I live a long distance from the beach so the drive to get there and the sunset if I am there late, is an added bonus.
8. Reading – this helps to keep me intellectually and mentally stimulated and healthy. I enjoy that through reading I give myself the opportunity to learn and to grow, which is high on my list of personal values.
9. Sipping on a warm cup of tea – anything herbal suits me best. My go to mid- morning drink is coffee, I think it is one of the best inventions yet. My early morning drink is a green smoothie (most mornings at least). Sipping on a warm cup of herbal tea represents something special for me, whether it is early morning, late evening or anytime of the day for that matter.?
10. Lighting up my scented candles – I often enjoy taking off the lights in my bedroom and allowing the room to only be lit by candlelight. The warm glow of the candlelight brings me peace and helps me relax.
There you have it! My top 10 self-care practices. Which of these resonate with you? Which ones do you also practice or think that you will try? Is there anything I have not mentioned here that works well for you? I would love to hear about it. I invite you to leave me a comment of send me an email.
Remember, one of the best ways to show you love yourself is to take care of yourself. In order to properly take care of others, you must first take care of you.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Until next time, be safe and be blessed.